Well, she’s done it again! Sally Field never ceases to amaze me, from her unforgettable roles in Sybil, Forrest Gump, Mrs. Doubtfire, and so many more; all such different roles in these movies, and she did all of them so well. Acting since 1962 as a teenager, she still has it now, and by ‘it’ I mean the loyalty of her fans and the ability to amaze everyone who watches her. Anyways, I went to see her latest movie recently, Hello, My Name is Doris shows Field playing Doris, a quirky, lovable woman in her 60’s who falls for a much younger man.
Watching her come up with different kinds of ways to impress this guy is funny and cute, but also slightly heartbreaking… talk about a lot of mixed emotions! Her young, good-looking coworker, played by Max Greenfield, is in awe of her and really loves her company, which leads to Doris having hopes that her dreams might come true. We see this journey she goes on, really getting to know herself, and we quickly fall in love with Doris. It’s so very easy to relate with this character; her past, her relationships, and her hoarding issues make us feel for her and want her to win this guy and live happily ever after.
It was so great to see so many familiar faces in the movie… Max Greenfield (New Girl, Happy Endings), Beth Behrs (2 Broke Girls), Natasha Lyonne (Orange is the New Black, But I’m a Cheerleader), Don Stark (That 70’s Show), Elizabeth Reaser (Grey’s Anatomy), and Peter Gallagher (The O.C.) …. yes, I know, I may possibly watch too many movies / TV shows 🙂
A few other things that stood out for me:
- Seeing Sally Field sitting on a couch in her therapist’s office… major Sybil flashback
- Another favorite actor of mine (Gallagher) from my precious O.C., playing the cheesy motivational speaker… despite the cheesiness, a few of his phrases surprisingly stuck in my head:
- “Impossible really means ‘I’m Possible’”
- “Don’t look into the past and ask ‘why me?’, look into the future and ask, ‘why not me?’”
- Trying to figure out if some of the scenes were real or in her imagination
- The ending: won’t spoil it for you, but I thought the ending was super cool!