For those of you who know me well, you may know how much I have always loved the TV show F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Between the years of 1994 and 2004, this show swept the nation, and even to this day you can still see reruns. I’ve always wondered what it is about this particular show that attracts people so much? After doing quite a bit of research over the years, I have put together the top 5 reasons why I think that people keep watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S:
1) Characters we can relate to – I have always thought that the six main characters in this show have personalities and quirks that people can relate to (i.e. Monica’s cleanliness, Chandler’s challenges with dating, etc.)
2) The formula – throughout 10 seasons of this show, the writer stuck to the same formula. In other words, they never deviated from what worked.
3) The issues the characters go through – (relationships, jobs, etc.) are all common life problems everyone goes through.
4) Inspiring friendships – this show shows the importance of friendship.
5) Catchy theme song – I’ll Be there for You is well known and well liked.
Now, I would also like to play devil’s advocate, to make for good reading of course hehe. As 1994 was quite a while ago, things have definitely changed since then. So, this makes certain parts of the show outdated and/or possibly controversial, such as:
1) Insulting jokes – a plethora of insulting jokes towards Monica’s past weight challenges.
2) Homophobic comments – throughout the series, there are many jokes made about Carol / Susan and gay folks in general.
3) Lack of varying ethnic backgrounds – all six of the main characters are white.
Despite all of this stuff, F.R.I.E.N.D.S is still super popular 22 years after it first aired. I mean, who can say no to a show with amazing highlights, such as Janice with her infamous Oh. My. God!, and Phoebe’s Smelly Cat medley? Let’s face it, with these catchy phrases popping up all the time, this show was a hoot! I am willing to bet that oh so many people around me are fed up with my constant references to the show. I am always comparing myself and my friends to the characters. For instance, I feel like there are some similarities between me and Chandler. Granted, he is a guy and I am not, but still I feel a connection. The overwhelming amount of sarcasm he uses, the bad jokes he makes during awkward situations, and his jokes about being a child of divorce? Sound at all familiar?
Oh, and then there’s the ever-popular Ross and Rachel relationship… the romance every viewer envies and wishes they could have. Well for the most part that is, because when you really think about it, they are somewhat dysfunctional at times. As a quite on-again-off-again couple, they definitely grabbed the attention of the audience, throughout the whole 10 years… never a dull moment with them.