So, I went to see Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life with my mom today, mainly because I really love Lauren Graham. Oh, and it was also pretty great to see Griffin Gluck all grown up since Private Practice. Anyways, my point is… there was a scene in this movie where these teens were simply amazed by a “VHS that you put into a box called a VCR”. Another kid replied with “Can’t we just use my iPhone?” Wow, that made me feel so incredibly old! VHS tapes were used all the time back when I was a kid, then DVDs came out later on, and now well, no one really buys movies at all anymore! Things like this always make me feel very uncool. I mean, since I’ve started saying things like ‘kids these days…’ or ‘I remember when…’, I think my youth just went out the window.
Not to mention the way these ‘kids’ are talking these days 🙂
- bae – before anyone else
- mfeo – made for each other
- adorbz – adorable
- sick – cool
- deets – details
- yolo – you only live once
- photobomb – sneaking into the background of someone else’s picture
- shorty – a very attractive female… gotta say, I like this one!
- twerk – a dance move I think?
- can’t even – can’t handle (still not 100% sure about this one)
- cray cray – crazy
- af – as fuck
- blowing up – getting a ton of messages on your phone/social media site
- hella – very
- tbh – to be honest
- imo – in my opinion
Now, I totally get some of these, I mean saying yolo saves time I guess? The word twerk Is definitely kinda cute, and who am I to argue with the word shorty being used as a positive thing? Very cool! But seriously, the ones like imo, tbh, and af? It really just seems slightly lazy in a way, doesn’t it? Yes, I know I sound super old!
But, does anyone agree with me, even just a little?