Somebody once told me that smells can bring up the most feelings and / or memories of any of the five senses. Even though this was quite a few years ago, I still remember it really well. It’s so true, any time I smell something, it definitely makes me feel or remember something specific! Of course, there are some that bring great memories and some that, well… don’t. Yesterday, when I was at the General for an appointment and passed Timmy’s, the wonderful smell of coffee made me think of all this again.
Along with this one, here is a list of smells that give me lots of feels:
1) Coffee (of course) – Simply just makes me happy… and crave coffee.
2) Vanilla – Makes me think of my wife 🙂 It’s her fave smell, so she has many perfumes and soaps with it.
3) Timmy’s – Reminds me of my high school lunch breaks, hanging there with friends, their delicious donuts, need I say more?
4) Peppermint – As a child, my fave babysitter was always chewing peppermint gum, so this smell makes me feel safe and happy.
5) Fresh air – Going for walks out in the fresh air, used to do this a lot as a kid too, so it makes me feel young and free.
6) Snow – Yes, I know that snow sucks and everything, but that smell of shiny white snow in the winter does have a nice feel to it.
7) Toast – Reminds me of morning breakfasts as a kid with my dad 🙂
8) Freshly cut grass – I mean, who doesn’t love this one?
9) Baking – Freshly baked goods of any kind… yum!
10) New car smell – My dad got his new car many months ago, but I swear every time I get in, I still get that new car smell! Makes me think of all the road trips I went on with him and my mom as a kid.
11) Paint – Not always the most pleasant smell to be honest, but it still gives this feeling of ‘new and fresh’ -ness.
12) Glue/Nail polish – Kinda embarrassing, because I know these aren’t supposed to make me happy, being toxic and all, but it still reminds me of those innocent days as a kid!
13) Chapters – Fun memories of going there to buy books as a kid!
14) Bacon – Yum! Enough said.
15) Candles burning – Makes me feel all warm and cozy.
16) Christmas tree – A very homey and pleasant smell reminding me of family and friends.
17) Bonfire – Great memories of summer fun.
18) Popcorn – I feel like the smell is even better than the taste.
19) New textbook – There’s something so nice about this one, almost like the smell of ‘new and hopeful’.
What are your fave smells?