Oh, Uber, how complex a service you are! Back in February, when I started using it to get around, I was so relieved and thankful to have it. What a quick, easy and inexpensive way to get to work and back, right? Believe me, back then in the freezing cold winter, it was like a dream come true for me. This dream kept going for several months, it was great… I loved it and so did everyone else around me. In fact, it was all so great that it was going to become legal here in Ottawa. Then, I really feel like that’s when things changed. Gradually. Don’t get me wrong, I still really love the service, but I do feel an ‘Uber-ramble’ coming on 🙂 Here are my thoughts:
- A definite good thing – I have always arrived safely to my destinations
- The new pricing system – supposed to be more straight forward, and it usually is, but several times, their predicted price isn’t right… where do these predictions come from, anyway?
- Prices – Definitely not by much ($1 maybe), but they have gone up
- Bad routes – Not really sure why, but I feel like the drivers make mistakes more often than before. A common one: taking the wrong way on the Airport Parkway. Solution: Mentioning this to driver beforehand, it worked great the other day! Now, are these mistakes made on purpose for them to make more money? Not sure, to be honest. But, sometimes a refund can be given, so that’s definitely a plus.
- The Uber rating system – I think this is where the most improvements are needed. It’s really great that us riders can rate the drivers, mostly to weed out the bad ones. It just sucks how subjective this system is. I mean, who knows how the decision is made by a driver / rider… sadly not always based on facts. So, is it fair that these drivers’ jobs are based on people’s opinions? And! What is a riders’ rating based on? Lots of grey area here!
What do you all think about Uber?