The ‘end’ in a Fri’end’ship

Have you ever had a friendship that ended in a complicated way? It sucks, right? Something may or may not have caused it, but either way, it never ended properly. Things were never solved. Definitely not because you didn’t try, definitely not because you didn’t care. It was just over.

People always say how hard breakups are. They are all over the media… movies, TV shows, even gossip magazines. You know, that stereotypical scene with the girl sitting on her couch eating ice cream in her PJ’s? Breakups really suck, but I think what people sometimes forget, is that “breaking up” with a friend can be just as hard. All the five stages of grief still apply, maybe with a few tiny tweaks. A relationship ending is definitely the loss of something… grieving is a normal result of that.

Denial – “Oh, I’m sure they’re just moody… things will be back to normal any day now!”

Anger – “I cannot believe that ***** did that to me! After everything we’ve been through!”

Bargaining – “Hmm… maybe if I explain myself or buy them a gift, all will be okay?”

Depression – “Life will never be the same again.”

Acceptance – “I am really grateful for all the good times we had together. Things ended, and I think it’s for the best.”

Oh acceptance, how lovely you sound. But, doesn’t it also seem impossible sometimes? Almost like an end that is nowhere in sight? Acceptance… closure… the ideal last step. Yes, if you’re wondering if I’m speaking from experience, you are right. Still trying to figure out how to get there. I’ve been told that writing about it can help, so that’s what I’m doing… writing for all of you of course like usual, but also writing for myself.

Closure… I would love to reach you. One day, I will… One day, I will.

How have you gotten closure before?

Totally different situation, but how could I not add this video to the post?

Rachel wants closure!

Enjoy! 🙂

One thought on “The ‘end’ in a Fri’end’ship

• zoeyvaluatedblog

February 26, 2017 at 6:22pm

Thanks for your comment! 🙂
      Moving around a lot must have been hard. Starting over again isn’t easy.

1. Marissa

February 27, 2017 at 2:18pm

I can relate! It is just as hard to lose a good friend and takes a long time to get over! Good post 🙂

• zoeyvaluatedblog

February 27, 2017 at 2:23pm

Thanks for your comment! 🙂
      You’re right, breakups of relationships of any kind really sucks 🙁

2. From Taji, With Love

February 27, 2017 at 9:00pm

Such a great post. Thanks for normalizing these feelings I’ve had as one my best friends and I have “broken up” and it’s hard to get that closure that Rachel definitely needed. Lol.

3. berkleeleary

February 28, 2017 at 4:35pm

As a mental health therapist, I can validate that writing out our feelings helps us process things (I just did a post on journaling!) Yet, you have made the choice to be vulnerable with your readers and allow us to be a part of your processing with you. Thats the human experience! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• zoeyvaluatedblog

February 28, 2017 at 7:18pm

Thank you for commenting, means a lot! The idea to write this post was actually suggested to me as a healing strategy lol and it has been very rewarding 🙂 ♡

4. livelaughmakelove

March 1, 2017 at 3:00am

Great post. It is important to shed light on the greiving process as it is very difficult, but natural. The end of a loving relationship most surely includes friendships as well. We need to remember that with acceptance comes appreciation for what was 🙂

• zoeyvaluatedblog

March 1, 2017 at 3:07am

Wow, very well said! Having had the friendship definitely made my life better, so I can be grateful for that. Thanks for reading and commenting!! ♡

5. DawnOctopus (@dawnoctopus)

March 5, 2017 at 6:21pm

Lovely article, thanks for writing it. And don’t wait too long to reach out. I waited too long and discovered that my former friend had died in a motorcycle accident just 6 months before. It was rather shocking!