7 Tips for Better Adulting

Hey, you remember that post I wrote a while ago asking you what you wanted me to write about? Yeah, that one with the poll. It was definitely a close call, but I think the big winner was the option for ‘Adulting Posts’. As you all know, I’m here to make your lives easier, so here goes, a lovely little post with my personal tips for ‘adulting’! I’ve talked about if before, I’ve said how hard it can be, I’ve shared my own woes… it’s no secret to anyone, adulting is tricky sometimes.  I really am nowhere near what could even look like an expert, but I thought I could at least share little tips and tricks that have helped me so far.

The Zoey-valuated List of Adulting Tips

Never too late – How many times have you heard that you need to pick a career right after high school? Quite a few times, I’m assuming. Well folks, this couldn’t be more wrong in my opinion. Life is long, and who on earth knows their life goal at the age of eighteen? There’s lots of time to figure it out, and guess what? You can have more than one career during your lifetime!

Stuff happens – I debated for a while about whether to use the word ‘stuff’ or replace it with a different 4-letter word, but I went with the no-swearing thing I’ve kept up for over a year. Anyways! My point for this one, is that people mess up, things happen, things go badly sometimes, so don’t give yourself too hard of a time if you make a mistake. Try to learn from it and move on. Now, when I say this, I’m not referring to murder or other criminal activities. Those are different cases. So please, use judgment with this one 🙂

Coffee – as cliché and boring as it sounds, I really highly recommend caffeine. Definitely helps with the alertness thing.

Love – Again, cliché, but oh so true. This can be any type of love. Friends, family, partners, colleagues, bosses, etc. Having someone in your life that you can go to for help is always a plus. That, and the whole ‘feeling of belonging’ concept that people talk about can be pretty great.

Find a ‘thing’ Not long ago, in this post, I talked about how blogging is one of my ‘things’. What that means is, blogging makes me happy. I can’t even explain the feeling I get when I hit ‘publish’ on a new post, or get a new comment, or even just some sign of recognition. It’s like sheer joy. Cannot stress how important it is to have at least one ‘thing’ like this in your life. A ‘thing’ that could even maybe make you feel a little proud. Could be anything at all (preferably legal), but it should be something you can escape to, something you call your ‘happy place’

Learn – Oh. My. Gosh., how I used to hate this word! I used to hate whenever my dad would bring it up as something that needed to be forced down my throat. Now? Well, I still get that itchy feeling sometimes when I hear it. What can I say? Old habits die hard. But, the truth is, I’ve come to realize that learning new things isn’t always that scary. If it’s something you’re interested in, it can actually be kinda awesome. So, at the risk of sounding like my ever-so-wise dad, keep on learning.

Love (again) – Let’s call this ‘love 2’… not at all less important than ‘love 1’ that I talked about already. This one is probably better described with the words ‘love yourself’. In other words, take care of yourself in any and all ways you can. Physically, emotionally, mentally, and the list goes on. Do whatever you can to make your life (including all the other things I talked about) better. Even if this is just learning to eat healthier food from time to time, anything that makes you better off somehow. Definitely a tricky one, something that I’ve been learning about a lot lately. So trust me when I say, it’s really worth it.

Thanks for reading to the end! Hope you enjoyed the post, and maybe even found it a bit useful! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below! 🙂

signature

One thought on “7 Tips for Better Adulting

1. Rae

April 22, 2017 at 6:26pm

Yes! Great tips. It’s so easy to feel like you don’t belong to a group as an adult and people underestimate how important and validating this feeling is. Also, YES to learning. Nothing makes me feel like an upstanding member of society than learning new ways to contribute to the world 🙂

Rae | Mindful Rambles

April 22, 2017 at 8:57pm

Yeah, feeling like you belong somewhere is very special. Took me a while to appreciate the learning one, but glad I got there. Thanks so much for reading/commenting! <3

2. Grimes

April 22, 2017 at 8:43pm

Thanks for this piece of advice.. continue the hardwork bro🙂🙂

3. Desiree

April 23, 2017 at 4:47am

I totally agree with the not having to decide what career thing. My daughter is 24 and the school is pressuring them to decide what they want to study at university and then do as a job???? How do they know what they want to do? And caffeine all the way

April 23, 2017 at 6:04am

Caffeine is most definitely a lifesaver! And, I feel like pressuring someone at any age to find a career is not helpful. Pressure makes it harder to figure things out. Thank you so much for reading and commenting ♡ I really appreciate it!

4. Marizaan Coetzee

April 23, 2017 at 7:48am

Hi Zoey, I loved your blog!

I couldn’t agree more actually… People – especially teenagers – tend to stress themselves out if they don’t know what they want to achieve in life, because they don’t always realise that they don’t have to choose right now. I turned 29 this year and I only realised last year what I truly wanted to do.

As for the “find your thing”, people underestimate how important this is. If you don’t have at least one thing in your life that gets you excited, you’ll just be stumbling around aimlessly, and end up in what I can’t describe any better than a zombie-like-state. Which is sad.

April 23, 2017 at 4:39pm

Yes exactly, I’m 27 and still figuring it out! Went to college and university for something that I later decided I didn’t want to do. Oops!
      I can’t tell you how much better my life is since I found a ‘thing’! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot ♡ Followed your blog! 🙂

April 23, 2017 at 4:34pm

Glad you liked them, hope they help! Thanks for reading and commenting, means a lot ♡ Subscribed to your blog! 🙂

April 23, 2017 at 4:32pm

Caffeine makes the world go round 🙂 Thanks for reading and commenting, means a lot ♡ Commented on your blog! 🙂

5. jd Obedoza

April 23, 2017 at 12:48pm

Yup. It’s never too late to learn something new even as an adult. Thanks for sharing.

April 23, 2017 at 4:30pm

Very true! Learning something new can only make life better 🙂
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot ♡
      P.S. commented on yours! 🙂

6. Gloria

April 23, 2017 at 1:37pm

I love the LOVE! These are amazing. Great job with this.

April 23, 2017 at 4:10pm

Thank you! Means a lot! ♡ Glad you liked it 🙂 Also, I absolutely love your blog! Subscribed 🙂

April 23, 2017 at 5:24pm

Me too, all the way!! ♡

April 23, 2017 at 8:23pm

Great post!! I think adulting is a very hard thing to do at any age…but, when you have the support of friends and family… it helps make life awesome…even when there are bumps in the road. Keep them coming…I love reading your posts!!!

April 23, 2017 at 9:18pm

Thanks, Lise! Yes, having the support of loved ones changes everything! I really appreciate your comment! ♡

8. Arlene

April 24, 2017 at 12:57am

I love this! Adulting can be so hard especially with trying to be mom/family life. It’s important to keep “you” in the frame work of your life. I completely agree with all your points!

April 24, 2017 at 2:08am

Yes! Staying taking care of yourself is key! Well said! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

April 24, 2017 at 3:28pm

Love all of these! The only one I would change is coffee to maybe tea or something else adultish lol

April 24, 2017 at 3:32pm

Sure, that works too! Also has caffeine 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

10. Joleisa

April 24, 2017 at 6:10pm

I’m 50 and some days I can’t believe I’m not a teen any more! This adulting thing is hard! I’m with you. And we must take our mistakes as part of the process and learn from it!

April 24, 2017 at 8:15pm

Yes, very well said! Mistakes are what make us better 🙂 This stays the same no matter what age we are. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

11. anne @onedeterminedlife

April 24, 2017 at 6:55pm

Your so right, its never too late. I hate that kids in high school feel the pressure to choose something for the rest of their lives at that age. School should be about discovery and growing not cementing one particular path.

April 24, 2017 at 9:20pm

Yes! I really believe that if we took the pressure off these kids, they would be better off in the long run! Very good point. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

12. Lena

April 24, 2017 at 7:27pm

Hah these made me giggle. I am still not fully adulting now at the verge of my 40s. I blame it on my kid ‘akhm’. But, on a serious note, it wasn’t until recently that I started discovering my passions. I never really knew what I wanted to be when I grow up. I wrote about these things on my blog. Does that mean I’m adulting? Oh, well…

April 24, 2017 at 9:06pm

Well, I think the first point you made about having kids proves that you are in fact ‘adulting’ 😉 Discovering our passions is so satisfying, isn’t it? Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

April 25, 2017 at 1:25am

Coffee all the way, essential to adulting! Glad you agree 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

13. Thee Lovingrose

April 25, 2017 at 3:47am

I love your tips especially coffee and love. Coffee is my number to drink in the morning and also love tasting other flavors.

XOXO – Thee Lovingrose

New Post | IG

April 25, 2017 at 3:51am

Yay! Lol I love hazelnut coffee, my drink every day 🙂 Love is also essential hehe. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

14. Lisa

April 25, 2017 at 4:47am

Great tips! I want to add one – realising that no one knows what they’re doing, we’re all winging it! My whole life I’ve had these ‘not good enough’ moments because I thought everyone else had it all together. But no one knows!

April 25, 2017 at 4:59am

That’s so true! Very very good point to add to the list. No one is alone in all this messiness 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! <3

15. Emily

April 25, 2017 at 5:24am

I agree to all the things mentioned in your post. I wish i had this information during the time when i am approaching early adulthood; although life turned great despite some rough patches, i believe that i could have better choices. Probably its part of my journey to learn them on my own. Good article to share!

April 25, 2017 at 5:46am

I heard somewhere that we don’t need to regret anything, because if it had happened differently, we would not have ended up where we are today 🙂 Hope that made sense, the way I wrote it lol! Anyways, thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

16. Real Women Talk 2

April 25, 2017 at 7:18pm

Yeah, I agree that it is ridiculous to expect an 18 year old to know what they want to do with their rest of the lives! If anything, the only thing you can do is pick your first career at that age as it looks like our generation may have 2 or 3 careers by the time we retire.

April 25, 2017 at 8:23pm

Yes, very true! I’m already working on my second and I’m only 27 :p Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! <3

17. Sam

May 1, 2017 at 3:04pm

Love Love that you used love twice. Because it really is so important, and soooo very different as you pointed out. LOVE the new site design looks amazing!! <3 can't wait to keep following <3

May 1, 2017 at 4:25pm

Love does make the world go round 🙂 Thanks so much,really appreciate the kind words ♡ Your comment made me day!

18. Reeve

May 1, 2017 at 3:15pm

I love that coffee made the list. Let’s just be honest, without coffee, nothing gets done. Scarier than a zombie apocalypse – the coffee apocalypse!

May 1, 2017 at 4:23pm

Yes, coffee is life! Very true, zombie apocalypse is the right way to describe a coffee-less world 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot♡

May 3, 2017 at 6:17am

haha yes, that word my have helped emphasize my point. Maybe next time! Glad you enjoyed the post! 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

19. sian

May 8, 2017 at 5:01pm

Good solid list there zoey. People don’t tell you this when you’re a kid and before you know it your an adult expected to adult…

May 8, 2017 at 6:05pm

Exactly! I strongly believe there should be a manual or a course to take 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡