Ellen DeGeneres Changed the World

Hello to my wonderful readers! Hope you are all enjoying your weekend!

I’m really excited about this post, because I’ll be talking about someone and something that is very important to me. As you all know, (because I may have mentioned it a few times) I am a huge fan of Ellen DeGeneres. Well, it’s my pleasure to share a video with you today, marking the 20th anniversary of Ellen’s ‘coming out’ story. You can watch the video at the bottom of this post, or click the little clock in the top right corner to save it for later πŸ™‚

I really wanna emphasize how amazing and brave it was of Ellen to do what she did. In 1997, Ellen stood out in front of the whole world and opened up about who she is. Takes major guts to do that! I mean, I was nervous just coming out to some friends and family! As she explained in her interview with Oprah, it’s so important to be true to who you are. Today, I think we take this for granted a little sometimes, because thankfully people are slightly more accepting than in the past. But, the truth is, we have Ellen to thank for this. Oprah and Ellen talk all about this in the interview. According to Oprah herself, she hadn’t realized that the rest of the world wasn’t quite there yet back in 1997 when this all went down. They were shocked at the reactions they got.

Can you guys believe that Ellen actually got fired for being gay? Sadly, the truth is that being fired was the least of her worries back then. Apparently when the news spread, there were actual death threats and major harassment. Say WHAT?! It really boggles my mind to think that people could be so ignorant and mean. I’m not saying everyone has to agree, but there should be a clear line drawn way before it gets to being hurtful to others. My main question is this:Β why?! Why on earth can’t we follow Ellen’s advice and just “be kind to one another”?

Again, thanks to Ellen’s courage and sheer awesomeness, the world has come far from where we were back then. But, sadly that doesn’t mean everything is where it should be. Sometimes the things I read online, and the things that go on around the world shock me. We should all be doing what we can to live by Ellen’s sage advice. If it were up to me, ‘coming out’ wouldn’t even be a thing at all, people would just be who they are, no explanations or reasoning needed!Β

When I came out back in 2008, I was very lucky with the reactions I got. I have some amazing people in my life, and awesome services available to me. I loved being able to attend support group meetings every week, made everything so much easier! You can check out KIND‘s services onΒ their website, if you ever feel like it! <3

Also, to see all the posts I’ve written about Ellen DeGeneres, you can click here πŸ™‚Β

One thought on “Ellen DeGeneres Changed the World

April 30, 2017 at 10:47pm

Great post! I don’t watch talk shows very often, but I have to say that Ellen is one of my favorites, I love how she dances. She also looks absolutely AMAZING for being 59 years old. One of my favorite Ellen clips is when Sia sings and Maddie dances to Chandelier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILTZ8qZbNK0

May 1, 2017 at 12:14am

omg, I actually wrote a blog about that a while ago! That clip is amazing β™‘ Thanks for reading and commenting! πŸ™‚

2. Steph

May 1, 2017 at 10:11am

Great post! I learned so much about Ellen

May 1, 2017 at 4:31pm

Glad you enjoyed it! Ellen is my role model πŸ™‚ Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! β™‘

3. Niki

May 1, 2017 at 12:24pm

I absolutely love Ellen!! She is such a wonderful human being! Her courage and kindness are inspiring. πŸ’–πŸ’–

May 1, 2017 at 4:30pm

She really is wonderful, isn’t she? πŸ™‚ Love everything about her, especially her dances hehe. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! β™‘

4. Lena

May 1, 2017 at 12:56pm

I love Ellen πŸ˜€ I remember that show when she came out and when she started doing The Ellen Show, she shared what she went through. I cried like a baby but was so proud of her. She is an amazing soul. And definitely one of the people I would love to meet.

May 1, 2017 at 4:09pm

Yes, she really is quite amazing. Definitely a great role model. And omg, meeting her is pretty much my life long dream! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! β™‘

5. Roisin

May 1, 2017 at 3:01pm

As an Ellen fan, I think you gave her such a big high five. What ellen did was brave but she wanted everyone to be proud of who they are to live a very happy life! Love the post!!

May 1, 2017 at 4:27pm

Yep, you definitely described Ellen to a T πŸ™‚ Love finding fellow Ellen fans! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lo! β™‘

6. Kaylee

May 1, 2017 at 5:32pm

I love Ellen, she has the kindest heart and seems like such an amazing person!

May 1, 2017 at 5:51pm

Yes, she does! She is very inspiring! πŸ™‚ Thanks for reading and commenting, means a lot! β™‘

7. Avin Kohli

May 1, 2017 at 7:02pm

Hey Zoey, great blog post. I didn’t knew lot of things about Ellen which I know know. I do love her witty humor and she’s so cool.

May 1, 2017 at 8:35pm

Glad you enjoyed the post! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! <3 Subscribed to your blog!

8. Shadia Harper

May 1, 2017 at 7:06pm

Thanks so much for sharing! I will never understand how people could treat others with such hate in the name of God. I don’t understand why they have to be so concerned with how others live their lives. We only get one life and it’s such a short one. How unfair it is to expect someone to spend their entire life in a way that makes them unhappy. I’m not gay but the video brought me to tears. I love Ellen, she’s hilarious! It’s truly admirable to see this more different vulnerable side of her too.

May 1, 2017 at 8:36pm

Really well said! Her life is not affecting anyone, so I really never understand why they would go out of their way to create such hate and negativity. Great point you made! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! <3 Subscribed to your blog!

9. Claire - Start A Craft Blog

May 1, 2017 at 7:15pm

I remember that episode! That is absolutely crazy. I’m so glad that she has experienced the support that she has and that her talk show is theeee best.

May 1, 2017 at 8:34pm

Yeah, so awesome that she has such a loyal following. She deserves nothing less. She is quite the role model πŸ™‚ Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! <3 Subscribed to your blog!

10. Kim

May 1, 2017 at 8:39pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ellen. I think she has put so much goodness and kindness out in the world. I don’t know how anyone could not like her. She is da bomb!!!

May 1, 2017 at 8:50pm

You literally just summed up Ellen in the best words possible. Could not have said it better myself! I love finding fellow Ellen fans! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! <3

11. Paige Butler

May 2, 2017 at 4:53am

I love Ellen so much. Such an inspirational person. β™‘β™‘β™‘

May 2, 2017 at 5:08am

Thank you for reading and commenting, it means a lot! <3 I absolutely loved your post!!

May 8, 2017 at 3:25pm

I love love love Ellen! I record her show and watch it when I need a good laugh!

May 8, 2017 at 4:56pm

Agreed! Ellen can fix anything. Just watching a quick Ellen video makes my day πŸ™‚ Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! β™‘