8 Thoughts on 13 Reasons Why

DISCLAIMER: Spoiler alert! If you haven’t watched this show yet, and are still planning to, I highly recommend you stop reading. Bookmark me till you’re done the show 🙂

So, who here has watched the famous Netflix show 13 Reasons Why? The truth is, it’s been a while since I watched it. I could probably list 13 reasons why it’s taken me so long to write this blog post. Don’t worry, I won’t bore you with all of them. I shall stick to just the main two. But first, I will give a quick synopsis. The show is about a teenage girl named Hannah who has committed suicide. But, before doing this, she recorded 13 tapes, explaining the reasons why she did what she did. Each tape talks about the actions of a particular person in her life. It’s definitely a hard watch, but if you can stomach it, I really recommend giving it a try! To be honest, I wasn’t too sure about the show when my wife suggested it, I thought it wouldn’t really be my thing. I am so glad I agreed to try it though, because I was hooked the moment it started. Watched the whole thing in about 2 days. My first thought: ‘No WAY that that is Kate Walsh, I would have recognized her!’ My goodness, the makeup on that woman was amazing. I’ve been a huge fan of her since I first saw her red hair in Grey’s Anatomy, playing McDreamy’s cheating ex-wife. So, of course I was super thrilled to see her in this show again.

Now onto my reasons for such a delayed post. The first one is that I feel like no matter what I write, I cannot do the show justice. The other reason is all the controversy there is out there about this show. Everyone has such strong opinions on it. Me? Well, I’ve always been an ‘on the fence’ kinda gal. So, naturally I’ve been kinda avoiding taking a stand. I never wanna offend anyone. But, the truth is, I loved this show, I just can’t help it. Why did I love it? Here are my reasons.

13 Reasons Why – ‘Zoey valuated’ Style

‘The’ Scene – The scene where we see Hannah ending her own life is unbelievably well done. I’ve read some people saying that the show ‘romanticizes’ suicide. While I totally respect everyone’s opinions, I actually think the opposite is true. This scene shows how real and final her decision was. It’s not made pretty, it’s ugly and extremely hard to watch. Not to mention her mother’s reaction… wow! I could not imagine it being any better.

Hannah’s voice – We hear this whole story straight from the horse’s mouth, as they say. We hear what Hannah was thinking, what she was feeling, it’s all there. It’s her perspective, so it’s not perfect and polished, instead we get the real deal, as raw and as real as it can be.

Fearless – Topics like suicide and rape are always brushed aside. People are always scared to mention these issues, because well, let’s face it, they’re not pretty subjects. It’s like if we don’t talk about it all, it doesn’t really exist. I thought the picture below shows that issue pretty well hehe. But, this show doesn’t shy away from all of it. They took a ‘fearless’ approach, and I gotta say, I really respect that.

The moral – There’s so much talk going on about this show giving the wrong message to it’s viewers. Many people have said that it puts the blame on those 13 people outlined in the tapes. In other words, it makes it seem like it’s their fault that Hannah did what she did. My thoughts? I look at this in an entirely different way. This series shows us how much the actions of one person can affect the people around them. One remark, one look, one action, can either push someone over the edge, or do the exact opposite and bring them back from the edge. This goes back to my last post where I talked about Ellen’s motto… “be kind to one another”. In my opinion, that’s what this show is trying to tell us.

The acting – I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. The acting in this show was top notch. I actually felt like these characters were real.

Another moral – Full of lessons, this show! Another one that really stood out for me? The effects Hannah’s suicide had on everyone around her. The aftermath was portrayed really well. This was a very important message.

A few more thoughtsOne thing I would like to put out there, is the need for teens to watch this show with parental supervision. I feel like teenagers would benefit from someone sitting with them to discuss the show and how it made them feel.

Also, the half-hour video 13 Reasons Why, Beyond the Reasons, is definitely a great watch! You get to see the cast and crew talk about the show, it’s very cool! I added the video at the bottom of this post, in case you feel like checking it out! It’s also available on Netflix.

Hope you all enjoyed this post! If you have any thoughts, questions, etc. about the show, feel free to share in the comments below! ♡

One thought on “8 Thoughts on 13 Reasons Why

1. Paige Butler

May 5, 2017 at 7:10pm

I totally agree with everything you said! I thought it was so real. It didn’t sugar coat anything. It’s something that needs to be watched.

May 5, 2017 at 8:01pm

So glad you liked the show and my post! Have been worried that people wouldn’t agree. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

May 6, 2017 at 6:09am

I haven’t seen the show, I don’t have Netflix. I heard about this on the morning radio show that I listen to, and the hosts we’re pretty divided on if it was a helpful show or a really bad idea for teens to watch. So it’s not surprising it was hard to write a post about. Good job!

May 6, 2017 at 6:40am

Yeah, I never wanna offend anyone. Tried to be as neutral as possible, but also say what I thought. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, admin buddy! ♡♡

3. Ella

May 7, 2017 at 7:42am

I really loved the show and I think you did a good review of it! I agree with the suicide scene, it was very honest (from what I would imagine) and it was not sugar coated. I personally thought that the rape scenes were very hard to watch but necessary to the show.

May 7, 2017 at 7:51am

Yes, they were really hard to watch. I looked away quite a few times. I was thankful for the warnings at the beginning of those episodes. The suicide scene gave me chills, super well acted though. I’m glad you liked my post. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, it means a lot! ♡

4. laura greene

May 7, 2017 at 8:00pm

while i do not entirely agree with everything she says, i do agree with some of it, like how hard it is too watch the scene where Hanna finally kills herself, some said they made it look romantic, personally i could not watch the whole scene. i did come to feel like the characters where real, i dont believe they talk about the rape part as much they should off though, hopefully we will see something about it in next season.
    Great post anyway Zoe

May 8, 2017 at 6:25am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I do agree that they could have gone even deeper into the topic of rape. As much as they did talk about it, there were a few areas that were glossed over. Thank you again for reading and commenting! ♡

5. Lena @Befithappy

May 8, 2017 at 12:49pm

I didn’t see the show as it’s not available where I live but being someone who has gone through depression and even suicidal thoughts at one point in my life I would probably find it a very difficult show to watch (hence why I love watching Ellen haha). On a more serious note though, I agree, it is one of the issues not many are willing to discuss. Whether the teens should watch it, can’t really say since I didn’t see it myself, but such shows tend to work like a two-way sword. In some it might ignite the will to resolve and help others, in other, it might trigger the opposite, so yes, definitely caution should be advised. I love the way you wrote about it though. Made me want to watch it, but still, don’t wanna watch it. Do I make sense? Probably not, been working all day 😀

May 8, 2017 at 4:33pm

Love your comment! Very good point about the two-way sword. It definitely depends on who is watching it. I’m glad you enjoyed my post. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡
      p.s. Ellen rocks! 🙂

6. Kaitlynn

May 8, 2017 at 1:04pm

Tbh I am sort of in the middle about whether or not I liked the show. I think it is a good idea for parents to watch this. I think that sadly many parents are just as oblivious as the parents in this show were as to what is going on in their children’s lives.

May 8, 2017 at 4:48pm

Yes, sadly many parents don’t really know how to deal with this. So, in many ways, I found this show helpful. It is also very hard to watch sometimes, so I also understand the concerns people have. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

7. Reeve

May 8, 2017 at 1:38pm

I can’t comment on the show because I haven’t watched it and don’t think I will. For me, as someone who has attempted and considered suicide many times, it’s too much. I so agree that suicide and depression in general are “dirty” topics in society. But not talking about it just makes it worse. Why should I be ashamed that I deal with depression? Why do people act so weird when I “come out” as someone with a mental illness? Would they act that way if I had cancer? It’s a sensitive subject for me to say the least, but I still want to talk about it. I appreciate you for speaking up.

May 8, 2017 at 4:39pm

Yes, very well said! These topics are often taboo, which is totally understandable. But the more we try to talk about it, the better. No one should be ashamed of these things, all mental illnesses make us stronger. I am sometimes ashamed of my anxiety also though, so I understand.
      Thank you so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

8. daniella

May 8, 2017 at 2:08pm

I loved this show. I just learned that Netflix has bought a 2nd season for it already.

May 8, 2017 at 4:58pm

Yes, I read that yesterday too! Very excited! I wonder where they will go with everything, because the book was all covered already I think..
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

9. Claire - Start A Craft Blog

May 8, 2017 at 4:17pm

I don’t plan to watch the show because I’m too emotional and I don’t think I’d be able to cope. However, I did watch a panel show talking about it and the way it was described there was that it’s getting people to talk about suicide which can only be positive. Especially when it’s men that are at a higher risk of suicide. I’ve been touched by this within my own family and I really do agree. Great post. I completely agree. I also think people need to be kinder to themselves. I stole Amy Poehlers advice and like to share it often: “if you’re thinking something negative about yourself just stop, ask yourself, would you say this to your friend? and if the answer is No, then don’t say it to yourself.”

May 8, 2017 at 5:03pm

I love that advice, thank you for sharing it. I think it’s really important for us to be kinder to ourselves and others.
      Knowing that watching this show is not a good idea for you is really great. Very important to recognize. Thank you so much for reading and commenting, it means a lot! ♡ Also thank you for your honesty.

10. Dionne

May 8, 2017 at 6:18pm

Have you read the book? The series is so much better, and I rarely say that! I still have my concerns with both, but overall, it was a good chance to open a strong dialogue.

May 8, 2017 at 6:25pm

That’s what my wife said too! She read the book a while ago, and now we watched he show together. She usually likes the book more, but in this case it was the show. Very important topic, for sure! Thank you so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

May 8, 2017 at 6:37pm

I’m glad they made a show out of the book. While it was insightful into issues that needed yo be made more aware of, the show allows for a deeper connection as many people are more visual. Hopefully with this increase in popularity, the story can help.more people get the help they need without resorting to Hannah’s ultimate methods

May 8, 2017 at 7:41pm

Yes, that should definitely be the ultimate goal. Hopefully this show can show people that they are not alone. These topics need to discussed, made less taboo. Then more people will feel like they can bring it up. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

12. Kim

May 8, 2017 at 9:20pm

My 14 year old was watching it and then we got an email from our school district with some background information. I heard there was some very graphic scenes in it so I told him that I didn’t want him to watch it any more. He was fine with it. We talked about the subject matter and I personally don’t think that teens need to be exposed to the graphic nature of the series. I haven’t watched it myself.

May 9, 2017 at 2:36am

Yeah, 14 does feel a bit young. Thank goodness they have warnings before bad episodes. Also, apparently they put a trigger warning on the show now. Like I mentioned, adult supervision is helpful 🙂 Thank you so much for reading, and sharing your thoughts ♡

13. Quinn

May 8, 2017 at 9:42pm

I liked it but I actually disagree about the way she went – she sort of slipped away after the initial cut, I thought it actually made it look very peaceful until her mother walked in. I totally agree that Kate Walsh knocked it out of the park several times over she was amazing!

May 9, 2017 at 2:56am

Hmm, I guess what stood out to me was how much she was suffering while cutting and how much it appeared to bleed. Not sure how scenes like that are supposed to be shown, guess it’s the only one I’ve seen that up close and personal. Yes, Kate Walsh was amazing! Thanks so much for reading and sharing your thoughts, it means a lot! ♡

May 9, 2017 at 2:38am

Definitely recommend it 🙂 Hope you like it! Feel free to comment again once you’ve seen it 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

14. Stacey

May 9, 2017 at 11:05am

I’m a high school teacher, and I have seen kids reading the book for a few years, but I never picked it up myself. When the show came out on Netflix, the kids started talking about it, so I checked out the first episode. I haven’t been able to watch more yet. Maybe this summer. I guess I am having trouble “liking” Hanna. I raised a teen with depression and anxiety. I am around teens all day. I know this show opening up dialogue, and that is good. I’m just having trouble getting into the show.

May 10, 2017 at 5:09am

Maybe teenage overload? lol 🙂
      No need to force yourself if you don’t like it. If it’s not your cup of tea, that’s totally okay! But yes, the fact that it’s opening up dialogue among those teens that watched it is definitely a good thing 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! <3

15. Maya

May 29, 2017 at 9:29am

This is one of my favourite shows. I agree, the suicide scene was beautifully done. I’m curious to see how Season 2 will tie in and if Hannah will still be apart of the show, because she’s definitely my favourite character!

May 29, 2017 at 12:44pm

I am very curious about season 2. The first season was based on the book, so the next season will be completely new storylines. I really wanna know how Alex is doing! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot💖