7 Ways to Help You Say No

Do you ever feel overwhelmed, like you’ve taken on too much? You know that feeling when you just can’t keep more in your head, without something slipping out a little?

I’m sure most of you feel like I’m singing your song, as they say. A lot of people have too much on their plate. And if you’re anything like me, you may find it hard to finally put an end to all of it.

When that next person comes along and asks you for a favor, you just can’t say no. It really sucks, trust me. One of the hardest things for me, personally. But, I’m here to tell you, you really can. You really can just say no. I’m definitely no expert with this kinda stuff, but I am gonna do my best… here come 7 ways that can maybe help make it a bit easier for you!

7  Ways to Help You Say “No”

Accepting – It is totally okay that this is hard for you! Don’t be hard on yourself, you’re human, not everything has to be easy. Also! If you’re having trouble saying no to someone, it usually means you care a lot about them. Says a lot about you. News flash! You’re a good person! 🙂

Your rights – Remember, you are allowed to say no. You are most definitely supposed to take care of yourself first, and if that means saying no to someone, then go right ahead and do that.

Postponing – Saying things like “I’ll think about it, and let you know” is A-okay!

Breathing – This one always helps me. When I’m stuck worrying about how to deal with whatever’s going on, I try to remind myself to take a deep breath. Works like a charm!

Alternatives – If you’re saying no, you can always suggest other ways the request can be met. Something like “…but, how about you…” This can help them figure out what to do, AND it might make you feel a bit better too!

Your gut – Ever get that feeling that something just doesn’t feel right? It’s almost like even hearing about this thing makes your tummy feel… different. Well, over the years I’ve learnt that this feeling usually means something. Listen to it.

Bluntness – This one… can be kinda tricky. It may sound shocking, but it can be done. I’ve witnessed it happening before, so it’s not just a myth. You can just straight out say “no, thanks”. Sounds weird, right? Well, you can always give it a try if you’re up for it! If you do, please let me know it goes! 🙂

As always, I would love to hear any stories you may have!

Have you ever had trouble saying no? What did you do? How did you feel afterwards?

Share away in the comments! 🙂

One thought on “7 Ways to Help You Say No

1. Amy @ muscleMATTERS

May 15, 2017 at 8:40am

Hi, Zoey!

You couldn’t’ be more right with this post! It is so hard to say no, and most of us could benefit from not coming from a place of ‘yes’ all the time.

I am certainly guilty of putting myself last most of the time. So, thanks for these ideas, I’ll try to put them into action. 🙂

May 15, 2017 at 9:26am

I’m the exact same. Hopefully this post can help some of us “yes” people lol. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

May 15, 2017 at 9:10am

I needed this! I say yes way too much and it causes people to walk all over me sometimes

May 15, 2017 at 9:23am

I’m in the same boat. So glad you enjoyed the post! Thanks for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

3. Nashra Usmani

May 15, 2017 at 9:49am

The bluntness approach is the most difficult isn’t it? I usually just use the “alternative” or “postponing” move! Sometimes I have to ditch people after telling them I’m going to do something because there’s just way too much piling up. Thank for this post!

May 15, 2017 at 11:35am

I am the exact same way! I often postpone lol and yeah, cancel last minute..
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

May 15, 2017 at 10:01am

This is the epitome of my life. I can’t say no even if I have no desire to do whatever is being asked of me. Half the time why I’m so stressed…..going to try and implement some of these tactics, but old habits die hard lol

May 15, 2017 at 10:52am

Agreed on all accounts! I never want to disappoint anyone. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

5. Arlene

May 15, 2017 at 11:05am

I have a hard time saying no but the older I get the easier it is for me to stand my ground.

May 15, 2017 at 3:58pm

That’s good, I guess it can only get better then. Lol any tips? 🙂
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

6. Kaitlynn

May 15, 2017 at 1:34pm

Oh man, I really need to start saying no. I have taken on so much lately and I can’t keep up with everything. I recently dropped a few projects I wanted to work on because of it. Thanks for this post!

May 15, 2017 at 6:12pm

Yes, very hard say no! But also super important to take care of ourselves. A gradual learning proccess, for sure 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

7. Denise

May 15, 2017 at 5:29pm

My friend once suggested the “Can I get back to you” approach. It gives you time to really evaluate if you are able to follow through, or if you want to participate. Now that my children have left the nest, I don’t have to use it as often.

May 15, 2017 at 6:00pm

Ah, yes the ‘postponing’ option has been very good to me over the years lol Also gives me time to prepare a response, suggest alternatives, etc. So glad yout could relate! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

8. Paige Butler

May 15, 2017 at 7:43pm

Love this! Also needed to read it! I have a hard time saying no.

May 15, 2017 at 7:53pm

Glad you liked it!! Thanks for reading / commenting, my friend! ♡

9. Nidhi bhakuni

May 16, 2017 at 5:19am

I am in same boat sometimes it’s very difficult to say no…..Your blog will help me to come out from this..
    Thanks to share

May 16, 2017 at 11:55am

Glad you could relate. Hope you’ll find the post helpful! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

May 16, 2017 at 6:28am

Saying no has always been hard for me… I would feel guilty and take on more stress than I could handle because I didn’t want to let people down. But when I turned 40 I realized I needed to care for myself too and learned that saying no sometimes is quite liberating…

May 16, 2017 at 11:22am

Liberating is a good word to describe it. The very very few times I’ve said no, that’s how I felt too. Hopefully I can do it more often 🙂 Never wanting to let people down is my biggest reason for not doing it as well. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

11. MamaSavesALot

May 18, 2017 at 8:20pm

My problem is that I need to stop OFFERING to do things. “Oh I’ll do that” or “Let me research that for you” comes out of my mouth WAY too often. No, self, stop it… Don’t offer to do things that you don’t have time to do. I need to work on how to stop talking.

May 18, 2017 at 9:07pm

Yes! Story of my life! I’m way too helpful lol, gotta learn to set some limits. We should start a group for over-helpers anonymous! 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

May 18, 2017 at 10:38pm

I must have missed this post the other day! It seems like it’s tailored to me, I have a terrible time Saying no. You be proud of me though, I turned down being a girl scout troop leader just yesterday…Then volunteered to do their flyers and patch sewing arughhhhh.

May 18, 2017 at 11:12pm