3 F Words

Hello to all my wonderful, loyal readers! Also, welcome to any newcomers! I’ve been prepping this post for quite a while now, it’s definitely an important topic so I wanna make sure I get it right for you guys. So, are ya ready for this?

Great, now think of a time when you were really scared. A time when your heart was racing, you felt like you couldn’t breathe… you know those lovely feelings. What did you do? How did you react? The three most commons responses to scary situations are fight, flight and freeze

Me? I definitely freeze. Whenever I’m in an overly stressful situation, I stand there, mouth gaping. Honestly, I used to be pretty embarrassed about this, I thought I needed to be strong, voice my opinion, respond well, etc. Then, I did some research. Turns out, all three of these responses are ways an animal can save themselves from a predator. This goes back a long way, one of our basic instincts. So, bottom line, all three are very smart reactions.

I shall explain why…

The 3 F’s and Why They’re Okay 🙂

Fight

frog fighting pic

Some people’s gut tells them to stay and ‘fight’ through the situation. Sounds bad, right? I think anytime we hear the word ‘fight’, we worry. But the truth is, when it comes to a dangerous situation, sometimes it’s the gut reaction a person gets. Just like with animals, they would also fight back if they’re being attacked. This would scare they enemy away. Smart? I think so!

Flight
frog leaving pic

Another thing people sometimes do is run away. This is also a perfectly okay response. The person may not literally run away, but they might start being fidgety or restless, for example. Yes, I know I’m repeating myself when I say this stuff, but animals would definitely run away from their predator. It’s a reaction that could save your life, so it’s good 🙂

Freeze

frog frozen pic

A little fun fact: freeze was only recently added to this theory. Fight and flight used to be the only two reactions to danger, but professionals eventually realized that freezing is also another common response, so it’s now an official part of the equation! Anyways, freezing in the moment of a really bad situation is super common. I do it all the time! Animals do this too, and they might even play dead or use camouflage to hide themselves.

I hope this post was helpful for you guys! I know that reading about all of this has made me feel a bit better in the past, so I thought it might do the same for you. We just need to remember that whatever reaction we have, it’s totally okay 🙂

Which reaction do you usually have? Is it always the same, or does it depend on the situation? Would love to hear your stories about this topic! You can share away in the comments below!

Also, stay tuned later this week for a post about how to deal with these responses! 🙂

signature

One thought on “3 F Words

May 21, 2017 at 1:32am

I’m totally a fight kind of girl lol though I should learn to flee in some cases 😉

May 21, 2017 at 1:59am

Lol fighting is good :p Super hard to know which is “best” or if there even is one! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! ♡

May 22, 2017 at 12:12pm

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, it means a lot! 🙂

2. Lena @Befithappy

May 22, 2017 at 2:34pm

I always thought of myself as being the ‘freeze’ person, but when I was attacked once my reaction was probably the worst possible. I got so angry that I started yelling, cursing, pushing back. Fortunately for me, he got too confused by my reaction and someone above sent some guys passing by. It wasn’t until I got home when I started shaking and panicking lol.

May 22, 2017 at 9:19pm

That was the perfect reaction, it kept you safe! I think sometimes it’s hard to know ourselves in these situations, until it’s actually happened. Thank you so much for reading and sharing your thoughts. It really means a lot 💖

May 22, 2017 at 3:29pm

With having anxiety, mine is the freeze reaction! I literally get so freaked I’ll just stand and stare!

May 22, 2017 at 4:41pm

That’s exactly like me. Anxiety makes me freeze and panic. Can be frustrating for me, but at least since I started meds and got diagnosed, I know why I do it. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, means a lot! 💖

4. daniella

May 23, 2017 at 12:57am

I think I use to freeze all the time and now I either fight or flight. Most times fight but in some situations that isn’t necessarily a good response. But in others, totally necessary!

May 23, 2017 at 1:13am

Super hard to know which is ‘best’ in a in a situation! My thought is that if it kept you safe, it’s all good 🙂 Cool how it’s changed for you over time! I wonder if it will for me… lol Thanks for reading and commenting, it means a lot! <3

May 23, 2017 at 12:14pm

Glad you enjoyed it! That’s what I’m here for 🙂 Thank you for reading and commenting, it means a lot 💖

May 25, 2017 at 9:57am

I’m definitely a “freeze” type of person. Then later I think of all the things I should have said or done. It’s weird, because I used to be a “fight” type person. I guess they can change as you get older?

May 25, 2017 at 12:49pm

Yeah, i’m sure things change over time. Maybe one day I won’t freeze anymore, but who knows. I’m the exact same… afterwards, I usually know exactly what I should have done/said lol
      Thanks for reading/commenting, admin buddy! 😁

6. Courtney Blacher

May 25, 2017 at 1:16pm

Great article! I am definetely a “Freeze” type, and I think best type is mix of those three.

May 25, 2017 at 11:38pm

Yeah… the three put together would be ideal. Not sure how often it happens though lol. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, it means a lot! <3

7. Hteca

May 29, 2017 at 1:01pm

That piece of art you got at writing is wonderful. Njoyed it from the start.✌
    If u want to visit anytime Hteca01.blogspot.com

8. Sonakshi

May 29, 2017 at 1:43pm

That was an interesting read! I fall in the fight category! 💪🏻😋

May 29, 2017 at 6:24pm

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! Fight is a great category to be in, very useful and empowering 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting, it means a lot! 💖

9. Christina

May 30, 2017 at 8:30am

I agree Zoey. These are all good. Depending the type of person you are and the situation you are in makes all the difference in how a person reacts too. You may be a person who normal flees anytime something bad happens, but given a certain situation, like if your mom, your probably going to fight for your child instead of fleeing. It’s nature and the way we do things.

June 5, 2017 at 2:44am

Yes, that’s a good point I never thought of! I feel like when it comes to defending someone else, I may fight. I freeze when it’s about me, though. Thanks for pointing that out! Thank you for reading and commenting, it means a lot 💖