This new post is something I’ve been meaning to write about for a while now. I’ve talked a bit about my FD before… you know, that condition I have that affects my autonomic nervous system? If you haven’t read any of my posts about it yet, I won’t bore you all with the details, but you can get a general idea here.
Well, this condition is what they call ‘progressive’, meaning that it changes over time. Things never stay the same, but quite frankly, nothing else in life does either, right? One change that I’ve dealt with over the past few months, is my new friend Polly the Pole. You can read about her at this link 🙂
Anyways, I’m about to come upon yet another little new thing in my life. I will be needing a walker. I seriously never thought I’d be saying that. Was I in denial, or just hopeful? I’d definitely like to go with the latter choice hehe. How am I feeling now? That’s what this post is about… my feelings about this new adjustment!
So, what is this ‘adjustment’ thing, anyway? I mean, it’s one of those things… I know what it means, I’ve heard it used before, I’ve even used it before, but once again, I find myself looking for the definition.
Let’s see what the good old dictionary has to say…
“A small alteration or movement made to achieve a desired fit, appearance, or result”
“The process of adapting or becoming used to a new situation”
–> Oxford Dictionary
Now, let’s get into a few more details.. I’ve had a lot of time (approx. 27 years) to think about my condition and the changes that come along with it. So, what are my thoughts on this one, you ask? Well, I’m glad you did, because I’ve been dying to have the whole world hear them, apparently. Well, I have lots of them, and they’re definitely divided. Let’s start with the positives!
- A walker will definitely help me get around
- I can decorate it! Coffee cup holder, anyone? 🙂
- Won’t be needed everyday
- People may actually be more understanding if I do happen to wobble a little
- No more people asking if I’m feeling okay, or even asking if I’m drunk (even though I do appreciate the concern)
- Might get me walking more, meaning I will get more exercise!
The … Ones To Be Further Discussed?: (notice how I’m staying positive?)
- The looks I might get from people
- Super long process to get funding… my goodness, this one will take a while! Lots of paperwork and patience will be needed!
- A big one… how I will see myself (more to come about this in future posts!)
Well folks, it definitely looks like the positives outweigh the other ones! Do you think this might mean something? I guess this adjustment will be a good one! Not to say it will be entirely seamless, but it will be worth it! Okay, maybe this post was a little for my own benefit… but, all of you go through adjustments in your lives, don’t you?! Would love to hear about some of them! Feel free to go ahead and share in the comments below!
22 5 4 1