My Adjustment Walk

Hello to all! Hope you’re all doing well!

This new post is something I’ve been meaning to write about for a while now.  I’ve talked a bit about my FD before… you know, that condition I have that affects my autonomic nervous system? If you haven’t read any of my posts about it yet, I won’t bore you all with the details, but you can get a general idea here

Well, this condition is what they call ‘progressive’, meaning that it changes over time. Things never stay the same, but quite frankly, nothing else in life does either, right? One change that I’ve dealt with over the past few months, is my new friend Polly the Pole. You can read about her at this link 🙂

Anyways, I’m about to come upon yet another little new thing in my life. I will be needing a walker. I seriously never thought I’d be saying that. Was I in denial, or just hopeful? I’d definitely like to go with the latter choice hehe. How am I feeling now? That’s what this post is about… my feelings about this new adjustment

So, what is this ‘adjustment’ thing, anyway? I mean, it’s one of those things… I know what it means, I’ve heard it used before, I’ve even used it before, but once again, I find myself looking for the definition.

Let’s see what the good old dictionary has to say…

To adjust:

“A small alteration or movement made to achieve a desired fit, appearance, or result”

“The process of adapting or becoming used to a new situation”

–> Oxford Dictionary

Now, let’s get into a few more details.. I’ve had a lot of time (approx. 27 years) to think about my condition and the changes that come along with it. So, what are my thoughts on this one, you ask? Well, I’m glad you did, because I’ve been dying to have the whole world hear them, apparently. Well, I have lots of them, and they’re definitely divided. Let’s start with the positives!

The Positives:

• A walker will definitely help me get around
  • I can decorate it! Coffee cup holder, anyone? 🙂
  • Won’t be needed everyday
  • People may actually be more understanding if I do happen to wobble a little
  • No more people asking if I’m feeling okay, or even asking if I’m drunk (even though I do appreciate the concern)
  • Might get me walking more, meaning I will get more exercise!

The … Ones To Be Further Discussed?: (notice how I’m staying positive?)

• The looks I might get from people
  • Super long process to get funding… my goodness, this one will take a while! Lots of paperwork and patience will be needed!
  • A big one… how I will see myself  (more to come about this in future posts!)

Well folks, it definitely looks like the positives outweigh the other ones! Do you think this might mean something? I guess this adjustment will be a good one! Not to say it will be entirely seamless, but it will be worth it! Okay, maybe this post was a little for my own benefit… but, all of you go through adjustments in your lives, don’t you?! Would love to hear about some of them! Feel free to go ahead and share in the comments below!

One thought on “My Adjustment Walk

May 26, 2017 at 2:42pm

Great post, and way to look at things positively! What I want to know, though, is what you are going to name the walker? Wally? Walter? Wendy? The choices are only limited to your imagination!

May 26, 2017 at 3:26pm

Lol love the ideas! So far I’m thinking possibly Wilbur. Makes me think of Charlotte’s Web! Willy for short 🙂
      Thanks for commenting, admin amigo 💖

• Dawn

May 29, 2017 at 7:12pm

That’s a good point – but Charlotte’s Web always made me cry when I was little, I’ll have to call him Will. Or Prince William.

2. Barb Freeman

May 27, 2017 at 7:19am

Hi Zoe,
    Do you get a choice of colour? Can you paint it? Hot pink? Radical rainbow? *uck you FD
    Fuscia? More seriously, do the medics want you to have a specific design or size or can your friends help you find a good, second-hand one?

May 27, 2017 at 10:08am

Hi Barb! 🙂
      The only thing my doctor mentioned was that it should have four wheels and a seat, other than the, I’m free to pick and decorate! This part is pretty exciting, I must say. A rainbow walker would be amazing! Thank you so much for reading and commenting, it really means a lot! 💖

May 29, 2017 at 9:56am

Outside of the nam and the color that have already been discussed (which I throw my hat in the green/matilda ring 😉) I think it was very smart to lay out the positive/negatives and decide based off them versus how people might feel/look at. You’ve got to go with what’s best for you and what will make you feel your best. Just make sure it has a bicycle bell on it 😎

May 29, 2017 at 12:47pm

Yes! A bicycle bell would be awesome! Green is a great option 🙂 Thank you for the kind words, it means a lot 💖

4. Claire - Start A Craft Blog

May 29, 2017 at 12:16pm

that’s a great post. I’m disabled and need crutches to walk, my everyday crutches are pink and floral patterned and my fancy ones are totally covered in Diamantes 🙂 I’m going to go and read more about your condition. I like the idea of decorating the walker incase you hadn’t guessed!

May 29, 2017 at 12:36pm

it made my day. Your crutches sound amazing! I have a few more posts about FD. If you ever have any questions, I’m happy to talk about it! Your comment about looking into it means a lot, thank you 💖

5. Hena Jose

May 29, 2017 at 12:38pm

Kiddos to your positive spirit. I am sure you would be able to motivate a lot of people out there

May 29, 2017 at 12:42pm

Thank you so much, that means a lot 💖 That is definitely my goal!!

May 29, 2017 at 1:31pm

I love how you’re staying positive! Positivity is the best way to get through everything!

May 29, 2017 at 10:32pm

Yes, could not have said it better myself! Took me a while to get there though lol! Anyways, thanks so much for reading and commenting, it means a lot! 💖

7. Elizabeta Kuzevska

May 30, 2017 at 1:50pm

Brilliant article. It is so warm and positive and encourages people to go through adjustments in their lives with a positive attitude. I love it

May 30, 2017 at 2:39pm

Thank you, that really means a lot! 💖 That is exactly what I am aiming for! Thanks for reading and commenting 🙂

May 31, 2017 at 7:05am

I love your positive attitude Zoey!! You are inspiring!! After I broke my knee I had to adjust to the “new normal”, as I call it and accept that I cannot do everything I use to. I love everyone’s ideas about naming your walker and decorating your walker!!! Alot of positive in that!! I’m sure your walker will afford you a new freedom by giving you stability and the support you need…and that’s what’s important…tell your brain that negativety has no place in this “new normal” xo

June 1, 2017 at 1:08am

Yes, I like this “new normal” term you use. Definitely has a nice ring to it! Can’t imagine what that must have been like… with FD, it’s progressive so I kinda saw it coming, but yours was a surprise. Yikes!
      Well, we shall see what this walker will be like 🙂 Thanks so much for your kind words, it means a lot <3

9. Marc D

June 1, 2017 at 9:23am

Love the positivity. I know it can be hard when it feels like everyone is judging. Maybe they are, maybe they’re not, but as long as you view it in a positive way and use it as a challenge to push yourself further, only good things can come out of it.

Just been through a knee injury that didn’t require anything. I was walking almost normally, the limp at times was almost not noticeable by others, at other times it was very painful and noticeable. I had looks from some people that was hurtful at times, sort of felt like they thought I was faking to get a seat on the bus. But I got thru it by believing it was temporary so I just kept going. I chose to learn from that experience so that I’d understand when I see someone in a similar situation.

I’ve known people that turn difficulties into a positive and I keep them in mind as I face problems of my own. If they can put a positive spin on their situation, why should I not do the same with anything I go thru.

Thanks for sharing your story. As for the walker, I saw a few months ago a lady that had hooked up mini beanie babies all around it. It looked so cool.

June 5, 2017 at 2:53am

Thank you so much for this comment, really means a lot. Interesting how you thought people were thinking that you’re faking it. I tend to feel like that when I’m without a walker, it almost feels like people just assume I’m drunk or something. It’s sad, but I feel like a walker would justify it. Trying to stay positive really helps. Love the beanie baby idea!! Thanks so much for your thoughts! 💖