8 Tips for Bus Riders

Why hello there, my wonderful readers. I come to you today with a list. Yes, yet another one of my lists of tips. This one came to me as I was going about my day, running errands, spending time with Gen… it just hit me. I have never written about my main mode of transportation. No, not Uber. I’m talking about busing. Public transportation, OC Transpo, those long vehicles that carry the public around town. What are your first thoughts when I mention this? I’m guessing it’s not the most positive. I mean, who here actually enjoys spending that much time sitting in an enclosed space with complete strangers, who may not be completely pleasant? Well, I’m here to give you a few little pointers that might just help make these experiences not so terrible. Now, these tips are things based on my personal experiences and those that I’ve heard about from others, so they may not apply to all of you. But, hopefully some of them will! Or, at the very least, maybe they can just make you smile a little.

8 Tips for Bus Riders

Location – Where you sit on a bus is a big one. Finding the perfect seat is an art, really. It needs to be available, of course, but it also needs to make you and the other riders feel satisfied. If possible, try not sitting right beside someone. Of course this is not possible if the bus is very full, but leaving people their personal space is definitely something they will thank you for.

Perfume – Have you ever seen those signs that say something like, “No scents is good sense”? Too much perfume might bother other people, or may even give someone an allergic reaction. So, try keeping the perfume down to a minimum.

Seating – This one maybe should have been added to tip #1, or maybe it’s okay on its own. Either way, this is important. Please leave the seats at the front, otherwise known as priority seating, for the people who do need it. I’m not just saying this because I may soon become one of these people, I’m saying it because it’s just respectful and well, one of OC Transpo‘s main rules.

Voices – This has happened to me one too many times. You know that feeling when you can hear someone’s entire phone conversation on the bus because they’re just being, well… way too loud? This is challenging for more than one reason. First, you may not want to hear their conversation, you may want to sleep / rest your eyes, etc. But also, as hard as it is not to listen, whatever they’re saying may be private. This part sucks for them, too.

Politeness – The best and quickest way to explain this one is with the commonly heard phrase, “Treat others the way you would want to be treated”. Basically, just try to be aware of the people around you (as much as possible). If someone needs to find a seat and your bag is on the seat next to you, pick it up and let them sit. I’m definitely guilty of this one sometimes. Lets just say, my backpack often finds its way to my neighboring seat. Oops! I really am trying to work on this, I promise!

Moving back – The bus driver often says this one out loud as a reminder to riders. “Please move to the back of the bus”. Sound familiar? This is mainly so that the highest number of people can fit on the bus. Moving back will leave more room for others 🙂

Doorways – Try your best not to block one of the doorways. This is hard sometimes because at times, this is the only empty space there is. But, blocking doors doesn’t only make it difficult for people to get out, but it’s also a safety issue.

Manners – I try to remember to smile at the bus driver when I get on the bus. Who knows, it might make his / her day! I mean, who doesn’t like being smiled at? Saying thank you, paying the right amount and at the right time… all these little things go a long way. Another one I want to add: if you are getting onto a bus, please let the people that are getting off go first. Your turn is right after theirs,  so it’s usually not too long to wait 🙂

Hmm… not sure if I forgot any. With the way my memory can be sometimes, I may have forgotten one of the most important ones. If you can think of any, please feel free to share in the comments! I would greatly appreciate it! Or, I would also love to hear stories / anecdotes, etc. I know a lot of you must be bus people, so go ahead and tell your tale! 🙂

signature

One thought on “8 Tips for Bus Riders

May 31, 2017 at 6:47am

Good tips!! They should be given to everyone riding the bus!! Too often people don’t follow them…especially with regards to the priority seating…it makes me so mad when I see someone with special needs having to ask someone to move so they can get a seat…so rude of the person sitting!!

May 31, 2017 at 12:05pm

Yes, exactly. There is even a sign on every bus that shows who the priority seating is for. I’m not sure what goes through people’s minds when they don’t give these seats to those who need them automatically. Once I have my walker, I shall be ruthless hehe. Thank you for reading and commenting 💖

2. Marc D

June 1, 2017 at 12:40am

Another one is music volume. Keep it down, not everyone may like the same you do.

Also backpacks, take it off your back when standing. I’ve been hit quite often in the head by those.

June 1, 2017 at 12:42am

Omigosh, yes! I almost got smacked in the face with a backpack yesterday! Can’t believe I forgot that one. The music one is also really good. Great ideas, thank you! Also, thanks for reading and commenting, it means a lot! 🙂

3. Marc D

June 1, 2017 at 8:53am

Another I thought of as I got off the bus this morning. At the stations, be mindful of those around you. Make sure when taking the stairs, you leave room for people going the other way. I don’t know how often I missed my bus because a busload would take the entire width of the stairs preventing me from reaching the stop on time. This one is often forgotten because it’s not on the bus.

June 1, 2017 at 12:40pm

Yes, good one! If you see someone running for a bus, move aside. Definitely helpful. Thanks 🙂

June 1, 2017 at 9:59am

Hi Zoey! Thanks for these great tips!! I’m sharing them with my son who uses bussing as his only mode of transportation at school 🙂 I wish the bus lines ran out near my home but I’m so far out at the edge of suburbs that the closet bus for me is over 4 miles away …

June 2, 2017 at 2:30am

I hate when that happens! When the bus stop is too far away, I always rather use an uber… which costs money. Definitely not great.
      I hope your son finds the tips useful 🙂
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting, it means a lot! 💖

5. Kaylee

June 1, 2017 at 1:44pm

These are all great pieces of advice! I agree most with the perfume one, although I love a great smelling perfume sometimes they can be a little too strong.

June 1, 2017 at 2:05pm

Yes! Just a little seems okay to me, but it’s when people drench themselves in it. While no scents is good sense, a little scents makes sense lol 🙂 Thank you for reading and commenting, it means a lot! 💖

June 4, 2017 at 11:21pm

Thank goodness my bus days are behind me, you just gave me bad flashbacks LOL!! I occasionally ride the T (train) in Boston, and most of these tips are applicable for the train as well. I’m so happy that you have your walker now, you can sit in the priority seating without anyone giving you any dirty looks. The priority seating was always a lifesaver when I was pregnant.

June 4, 2017 at 11:50pm

Yes! Very excited to try that out. I feel like a walker will justify a lot of stuff for me, if that makes any sense lol. Thanks for commenting! <3

7. Lee Griffin

June 26, 2017 at 5:46pm

People that wear a lot of perfume and/or body spray are the reason I try to avoid public transit as much as possible…also cause of motion sickness, but that’s something for another day. I’m so sensitive to scented-anything that I’ll experience symptoms of exposure before I can even smell it, so closed environments with lots of strong smells (like the inside of a bus) are a nightmare.
    Lee Griffin recently posted…Adore Box UNBOXING | June 2017

June 26, 2017 at 6:20pm

Yes, agreed. I’m very sensitive to smells as well for different reasons, so I always appreciate when people are scent-free lol. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Lee! 💙
      Zoey Schvan recently posted…5 Signs That It’s Time to End It

8. elizabeth

July 3, 2017 at 5:34pm

I normally just keep my headphone on and listen to my music or read a book. 🙂

July 4, 2017 at 12:47am

Good call! Headphones and music solve a lot of problems! Thanks so much for stopping by, Elizabeth! <3

9. How To Be Elevator-Zen · Zoey valuated

August 7, 2017 at 6:57am

[…] in a very small space with multiple complete strangers? Sounds fun, doesn’t it? Similar to riding on a bus, it’s so important to stay in your own space. My personal rule with this: try to stay as far […]