Old Friends, New Foods

So,  I’m going back to the old days, when I wrote about entertainment. Just couldn’t not write about this! Went to a cooking class the other day with my mom.  The food?  To die for!  What made it even better? The chef was an old friend! Knew him back in my college days (no, not THAT long ago, definitely not trying to say I’m old haha). So, we had both good food and good company! Chef Jesse Bell from The Albion Rooms here in Ottawa is super talented. At this class called ‘Rustic Revised’, he showed us how to make a delicious three course meal. Canadian food from back in the day! Definitely the way to go!

As Chef Bell (known to me as Jesse) talked to us and made the food,  I was flooded with fun memories from back when we knew each other. He was just the same as he was back then, a super smart and awesome guy! Having a personal connection with him made the whole class even more special than the others I’ve been to.

Here are some pics of the meal we got to enjoy, thanks to him!

This one was such a cool combination of foods! The fennel, the salmon, the herbs… Oh. My. Gosh! Also, for those of you who didn’t know (including me before this class),  ‘crudo’ means raw. But according to Chef Bell, apparently writing ‘raw salmon’ on the menu wouldn’t draw in as many customers. Go figure! 🙂 I never thought I would like a dish this healthy, but boy was I wrong!

Now,  I’ve had gnocchi before, several times, but it has never tasted like this. With a crispy outside and a deliciously cloud-like inside,  these little guys were beyond incredible. I am now permanently turned off from store-bought gnocchi.  Not to even mention the soft carrot mush (not the technical term) that was underneath! A very subtle and wonderful taste… the best way I can think to describe it, with my non-existing culinary vocabulary. Along with the pork, this meal was literally like heaven in my mouth!

FUN FACT:

The ‘Eton Mess’ was created back in 1893 (or 1920, depending on who you ask), completely by chance!  When the cooks at Eton College accidentally ruined the dessert they were serving, they threw together whatever they had in the kitchen. Thus, the Eaton Mess 🙂

… I will let the picture speak for itself here. Even though meringue is not my thing, the rest of this treat made me feel like I finally learned what a dessert should taste like.

If any of you want to get the recipes from me, please feel free to comment and ask! 🙂 Also! I definitely highly recommend checking out this restaurant. You can get more info about it at this link! I always suspected that Jesse would go far. We used to say that he knew everything about everything, and he still does! The head of a hugely successful restaurant… always knew he had it in him!  🙂

One thought on “Old Friends, New Foods

June 18, 2017 at 11:10am

Nice post!!! All courses look delicious…would love the recipes please. Very professional looking pics!!

June 19, 2017 at 12:41am

Thank you, Lise!! Means a lot <3 Would love to give you the recipes. Shall I email them or give them to you next time we see each other? 🙂
      Thanks again for stopping by!

2. Karine Lachapelle

June 18, 2017 at 12:49pm

Could you send me the recipe for the gnocchis?

June 19, 2017 at 12:36am

Email sent! Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Karine!! Hope you enjoy the gnocchis <3

3. sam

June 18, 2017 at 2:02pm

Oh this looks like so much fun and delicious. I’d love it if you could send me the Eaton Mess recipe. Variations of meringue are my absolutely favorite. Definitely can understand not liking it too! Great post yummm thank goodness I get a huge meal tonight.

June 19, 2017 at 12:39am

Thanks so much for checking out my post, Sam!! <3
      Would love to send you the recipe. Where shall I send it to? 🙂

June 18, 2017 at 8:23pm

Looking good! I love watching cooking shows, but I have a lot of food allergies so I could never do something like this. It looks really fun, though! I love your technical terms…Carrot mush LOL!

June 19, 2017 at 12:38am

hehe why thank you! Carrot mush seemed fitting in the moment. Carrot puree is what I should have said lol Thanks for stopping by, admin friend of mine! <3

5. Krish

June 19, 2017 at 12:56pm

One thing for sure.. after reading this, will be eating food. The moment I see such nice pics, all I feel is to eat them. Will show it to my mom, will tell her to make one of these.

June 19, 2017 at 5:41pm

Glad you enjoyed the pictures 🙂 Was definitely fun to eat!
      Thanks for stopping by, Krish! <3

6. Lena @Befithappy

June 19, 2017 at 1:26pm

I want the recipe yes! 😀 I love cooking and experimenting. And I make mean gnocchi 😀 any type of dough is poetry for my fingers, I love kneading. And making gnocchi is amazing once you get the feel of the right amount of potatoes and flour. And then I end up type 2 diabetic. Go figure. The universe loves to make jokes like that. Ah well, at least my family gets to enjoy them 😀 P.S. love the site revamp 😀

June 19, 2017 at 5:20pm

Would love to send you the recipes! Where shall I send them to? I love the way you talk about dough lol Very inspiring. Maybe I should learn to cook after all 🙂 Still getting used to the new theme. Thanks so much for your comment, Lena! <3

June 19, 2017 at 3:10pm

Can we just move course number three to course number one? It just looks so yummy!!!!

June 19, 2017 at 5:29pm

Yes, please! Dessert to start a meal, my kind of dinner!
      Thanks for checking out the post, Jessie! <3

June 19, 2017 at 8:12pm

So need those recipes!!! The food looks amazing and I need to try them asap!! Lol I love classes like these though. I take them here whenever available, always a good time and good food 😎

June 20, 2017 at 2:38am

Yeah, I always have a blast in these classes! Would love to send you the recipes! Where shall I send them? Thank you so much for stopping by, Chelsey! I always appreciate your comments! 💙

June 20, 2017 at 9:10am

What a wonderful fun time!!!! I’m so glad you had the chance to take a fun class like this!!! I’ve thought got about it but never gone 🙂 The food looks absolutely delicious!!!

June 21, 2017 at 12:49am

It was definitely super fun! My mom always has such great ideas 🙂 Thanks for your comment! <3

10. Elizabeta Kuzevska

June 30, 2017 at 1:28pm

The food looks absolutely delicious. I share your post to all my socials. Please send to me the Eaton Mess recipe. I’ll try to prepare this at home

August 21, 2017 at 3:03pm

I think I would have to eat the pudding 3 times in a row!