5 Signs That It’s Time to End It

Hello there to all my wonderful readers!

I come to you today with another one of my lovely advice posts. Exciting, isn’t it?

A few months ago, I wrote a post about the stages you go through after you lose a friendship … today, I’m actually taking this one step backwards. What if you were the one to decide a friendship is over? What if it just wasn’t working for you anymore and you knew you had to call it quits? What would lead you to this decision? Super hard to figure all this out. Letting go is so hard, and speaking from personal experience, I know that sometimes it seems easier to just keep going with the bad friendship. I’m here to tell you that this isn’t true… no friendship is better than a negative one.

Here are 5 signs that your friendship might be coming to an end…

5 Signs that It’s Time to End It

The big ones – Trust, support, a shoulder to cry on, listening, advice…  you know,  all those good things that should come with a friendship. These things are missing? Good first sign that something’s just not right.

Bad – This was the best word I could find to describe my first point. Are they treating you badly? Peer pressure, bullying, put downs, jealousy, etc… nip that in the bud. No if ands or buts. Friendships need to be equal.

Unbalanced – When you add up the good and the bad times with them,  which is there more of? If it’s the bad ones, this may be your first sign that it’s time to call it quits. Friendships should add positive experiences to your life, otherwise it’s not worth it.

Divided –  This one really sucks, but sadly it happens often. People change over time and friends without common interests can drift apart. One of the hardest things that’s happened to me, but the truth is, I can now honestly say I’m better off without them:)

Gut – Do you just have that gut feeling? Maybe you can’t explain it,  but something’s just not right. I’ve said it before and I shall say it again… trust your gut, it won’t lie.

Well there ya have it, my friends, the answers to all your problems. You will now know when to let go of a friendship that just isn’t working anymore, and you shall live happily ever after. Okay, I might be stretching it a bit, but I do hope that these pointers will at least let you realize that you deserve only the best friendships, nothing less.

Would love to know what I left off the list. What have I forgotten? Let me know in your comments below! 🙂

P.S. FOR ALL YOU BLOGGERS OUT THERE, I have now installed the commentluv plugin! This means that you can add a link to one of your posts in your comments! Enjoy! 🙂

One thought on “5 Signs That It’s Time to End It

1. Esther Schvan

June 24, 2017 at 8:09am

… and maybe also when they are never there when you need them, and/or are not supportive and patient when one goes through hard times

June 25, 2017 at 9:45pm

Gotta love your awesome advice! This was one I really needed!

June 26, 2017 at 3:32am

Hey Jessie!
      Thanks so much, I really hope the post could be helpful for you! That’s what I’m here for lol 😋

June 25, 2017 at 9:54pm

It’s always sad when you have to cut the ties to old friends, but sometimes it’s necessary to save yourself. Some people, despite the past, are not good for the future. People change and so does life. Good to know people out there can use posts like this to reference and give them an extra push in the right direction.

June 26, 2017 at 3:29am

Hi Chelsey! Yes, things change over time and we outgrow some friendships. It truly sucks, but you know what they say… “one door closes, another one opens”. Hopefully this will always be true. Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love your comments 💙

June 26, 2017 at 12:06pm

Wow, I absolutely love your blog! Great name, too! Subscribed 🙂 If you would ever be interested in doing a guest post, let me know! Thanks so much for stopping by!! 💙
      Zoey Schvan recently posted…5 Signs That It’s Time to End It

4. Ayana

June 26, 2017 at 2:36pm

It’s always sad having to let go of a friend. But people change evolved and once you’r no longer sharing anything I think it’s better to let go instead of getting hurt by forcing it

5. Jackie

June 27, 2017 at 7:56am

I often think about this subject. It is one that really causes me the most trouble in my life. Well up untill recently. Thank you for painting a clearer picture on paper what was already in my head. Just more shuffled around.

June 28, 2017 at 12:38am

Hope it was helpful! Definitely a troublesome topic for a lot of people. There aren’t really any clear cut answers, but I thought this could at least be a step in the right direction 🙂 Thanks so much for stopping by, Jackie! <3
      Zoey Schvan recently posted…5 Signs That It’s Time to End It

6. Elizabeta Kuzevska

June 28, 2017 at 2:51pm

Great post. You are right. It is better to have few loyal friends and get rid of unloyal ones. We don’t need friends who don’t support us and are “bussy” when we need them. It is hard when we lose them but it is harder to be with someone who dissapoint us

July 1, 2017 at 1:44am

Yep, quality is definitely more important than quantity! Super hard to weed out the bad ones, but very much worth it in the end. Thanks so much for your comment, Elizabeta, always means a lot! <3
      Zoey Schvan recently posted…Guest Post Movie Review

July 2, 2017 at 9:08am

I love your advice!! It’s better to have one or two true friends than a handful of those who are never there for you…

8. Carmel

July 5, 2017 at 3:22am

Such good advice, so hard to implement! I feel things very deeply and would never forgive myself for cutting someone out – no matter how much they deserved it……so I have some really lousy ‘friends’…..

July 12, 2017 at 12:39pm

Yeah, I feel you, it takes me a very very long time to get to that point. Only once I can think of right now. Letting go of a friendship is extremely difficult, sometimes even worse than a breakup. Thanks so much for stopping by, Carmel! 💙
      Zoey Schvan recently posted…How to Not Be Awkward

9. Heike

July 10, 2017 at 2:00pm

This is what a lot of people (including me) know but often forget. Thank you for reminding, great post!

July 10, 2017 at 2:30pm

I’m glad you enjoyed the post! This stuff is definitely easier said than done 🙂 Thanks so much for your comment, Heike! 💙

July 11, 2017 at 11:12am

I actually have a friendship that is a little one-sided. It is quite hurtful and she’s a family member!

July 11, 2017 at 12:29pm

I have a similar situation. When it’s a family member, it makes everything so much more complicated. It shows that you’re very strong, having to deal with this relationship. Thank you for sharing ❤