How to Not Be Awkward

The age-old question that people always wonder about… how on earth do I stop being so awkward all the time? How can I be around people and not feel embarrassed or nervous? Or, is that just me? Being awkward might not affect everyone in the same way, but I’m willing to bet that everyone has felt a wee bit awkward at one point or another in their lifetime. I have taken it upon myself to do a great service to us all, and create a list of ways to stop being so darn awkward… even for that one mere second.

How to Not Be Awkward

Practice – I’m starting with a fairly easy one. You know what they all say… “practice makes perfect”, right? Well, that might just work for this awkward business too! Maybe the more we go out and socialize, the less awkward we could be? Might work, might not… please let me know if you try! hehe

Less thinking? – We all worry what people are thinking about us, don’t we? It’s hard not to, even if I did write a post about it. If maybe, just maybe we thought a little less about other people’s opinions, it could help us? Not sure… what do you guys think?

Cell phones – This one I have tried before, and it’s worked like a charm! Having your phone on you can help you out of many an awkward moment. Don’t know what to talk about? Awkward silences happening? Pull out that little friend of yours and pretend you’re texting OR you could even pretend to pick up a phone call!

Confidence – This one is definitely the hardest… for me, anyways. I’ve heard rumors about it, though. Apparently, the better you feel about yourself, the better you will feel around other people. Could be true, could be a myth. Think it won’t work or think it’s impossible? Faking it sometimes works. Stand tall, look people in the eye… at least people may think you’re confident 🙂

Self-aware – Hmmm, how do I explain this one? Okay, an example might work. Let’s say you know you’re not so great at parties with a bunch of strangers, try to avoid those. But let’s also say, you do a bit better when you know one person at the party…  start your practicing with those 🙂

Positivity – Believe in yourself. You can do it! Awkwardness be damned,  you shall not let it defeat you!

Prep – If you know you may have to go to a potentially awkward event,  maybe write down a small list of topics to bring up when you’re there. You could maybe even make a plan with a friend, have a partner in crime, someone that can bail you out, or even just join you…  the sky’s the limit!

Embracing – If all else fails, or if all else really doesn’t seem like your cup of tea, just be awkward! Just go with it, and embrace your awkwardness! You’re not alone, you could maybe even start a group for awkward folks! Awkwards R Us, anyone? Forget the rest,  just be you,  awkward,  wonderful you!

Can you think of any other ideas I forgot?  Has anything really worked for you before that you’d wanna share with the rest of us awkwardees? Sound it off in the comments below!  💙

One thought on “How to Not Be Awkward

July 10, 2017 at 11:49am

As always, nice post 😁 This is perfect for people seeking to integrate better in society and having trouble. We have a whole section of books at work dedicated just to this subject. All of your points hit the nail on the head

July 10, 2017 at 12:24pm

Thank you, that means a lot! Good to know this is actually an issue for other people 🙂 Hopefully this post can help some of them! Thanks so much for commenting, Chelsey! 💙
      Zoey Schvan recently posted…How to Not Be Awkward

July 10, 2017 at 12:08pm

Love these tips! I am definitely the awkward turtle in my family and with my friends! Going to have to put these to use!

July 10, 2017 at 12:26pm

Hahaha omg awkward turtle? I absolutely love that!! I hope these tips help! Thanks so much for stopping by, Jessie! 💙
      Zoey Schvan recently posted…How to Not Be Awkward

3. Danielle

July 10, 2017 at 2:38pm

Less thinking is such a good tip. I tend to start overanalyzing everything I do and everything someone says or does towards me and I start acting super awkward! These tips are also good for anyone suffering with anxiety!

July 10, 2017 at 2:41pm

Wow, it’s like reading my own life lol. I’m the exact same! I overanalyze everything, always. Hope these tips can help a little! Thanks so much for stopping by, Danielle! 💙

4. Carmel

July 10, 2017 at 7:18pm

Ah so many awkward moments! ‘Happy Birthday!” “You too” face palm. I have to say I think practice is key and also refraining from pulling out the mobile phone can be really hard, but using it essentially means you have missed a moment to practice. I make a rule now, the phone is not an exit strategy – I can walk away but no using the phone!

July 10, 2017 at 7:21pm

Wow, quite the self discipline! I applaud you! Lol and yes OMG I’ve done that birthday comment so many times! Sucks, doesn’t it? 🙂 Thanks so much for commenting, Carmel!! 💙

5. Altea Leszczynska

July 11, 2017 at 7:30pm

As an introvert I feel awkward most of the time 😀

July 12, 2017 at 1:05am

Ditto, my friend. I guess I’m an introvert that likes to see people from time to time, but still feels awkward and nervous around them lol. Thanks so much for stopping by, Altea! <3

6. Shaira June Lim

July 12, 2017 at 2:00am

less thinking is probably one of the situation. I tend to think overly to people… I lose my confidence when I start to over analyzing the words they are saying.
    But I hate looking on my phone now because I can’t do socialize when checking it and focusing with my phone. I suddenly care nothing.

How about if you’re talking to an person who is also awkward?

July 12, 2017 at 2:18am

Yep, I always think way too much also. The more I think, the more awkward I feel and vice versa. Vicious cycle!
      Two awkward people together can be interesting… happens to me sometimes. In those moments, I somehow feel a little less nervous.
      Anyways, thanks so much for stopping by, Shaira! 💙
      Zoey Schvan recently posted…How to Not Be Awkward

7. RM

July 12, 2017 at 1:05pm

Hi Zoey!!! Such a great post as always! 🙂 I’m a totally awkward myself… I am also a total nerdy geek girl so I just smile and march to my own drummer 🙂

8. Lee Griffin

July 15, 2017 at 1:18pm

I am the epitome of awkward because of my social anxiety…and my overall lack of social skills. For me, rehearsing what to say was what worked best for me as long the other person didn’t go off ‘script’
    Lee Griffin recently posted…The ULTIMATE Guide to Dry Shampoo

July 16, 2017 at 11:33pm

Yeah… Anxiety and awkward are tricky together. I have general anxiety disorder, so I feel ya. Rehearsing can be quite helpful, but yes hopefully the other person plays along 🙂 Thanks so much for stopping by, Lee! 💙

9. Christie

July 17, 2017 at 4:10pm

Haha I love your post. I think you just have to embrace your awkwardness sometimes

July 17, 2017 at 4:54pm

Yes!! Embracing who we are is the way to go! … Unless we’ve committed a crime or something hehe. Thanks so much for stopping by, Christie! 💗

10. Lalie Joness

July 17, 2017 at 8:31pm

I love these tips and I will use since I’m a extremely awkward person in general lol. I have used the cell phone tip before at school and it has helped me out of so many awkward moments😬

July 18, 2017 at 11:52am

Yep, cell phones to the rescue! How the tips can help you out! Thanks for reading and commenting, Lalie! 💗

11. Lena @Befithappy

July 18, 2017 at 5:52am

I would feel awkward only when I would have to present publicly without knowing. Social anxiety is something a lot of people deal with and fortunately, I personally didn’t struggle with it. But I did have students who suffered from it greatly, especially when it came to public speaking. I do have some tips and tricks I advised them and it seemed to help also in social settings :). Includes breathing, listening, smiling and talking. It also helps to imagine you’re someone else for a brief minute. When I first started teaching I always told myself ok now you’re (one of the teachers I admired), her voice wouldn’t tremble for sure. And imagining that I’m not scared, just excited 😀 it helps.

July 18, 2017 at 11:50am

Wow, cool idea! Lol I feel like I could have fun with that. That’s really awesome that you were able to help your students, they were lucky to have you 🙂 Thanks so much for stopping by, Lena! 💓

12. Jackie

July 21, 2017 at 11:33am

I agree with all and can really relate i do feel like pulling out your phone just makes it awkwrd for everyone else. Especially if you are coming out into a social setting. I am trying to steer away from that… and just be confident and sure that i have interesting things to say. But with all the social anxiety i have that only sometimes is overpowered by my great confidence i find myself feeling awkwrd quickly. A great post you have shared. And im always in love with what you put out.

July 22, 2017 at 2:29am

Aw, thanks Jackie! Yeah, the phone thing can be great for us awkwardees, but for the other people around us? Not so much… Awkwardness is a tricky business lol. Thanks so much for stopping by, Jackie! 💗
      Zoey Schvan recently posted…Shameless Thoughts