I absolutely love this time of year! I mean, yes it sucks that summer is over, but if the warmness has to go away, I can think of nothing better than being able to party in fun costumes! Gen and I throw a Halloween party every year, so it’s a great project for me to avoid the end-of-summer blues. Decorations, games, food plans, guest lists, costumes… it’s like my birthday all over again! Anyways, seeing as I clearly take this holiday very seriously, I thought I’d write a blog entry about the most important part of it… picking a costume.
Here are my tips:
1. Pick a costume that means something to you. Even though all those ninja costumes are really adorable, my lack of knowledge in the department makes me not as eager to choose one of them as a costume.
2. Remember you don’t have to spend a bundle… Value Village, Walmart, and Dollarama are your best friends. You can also recycle from previous years! Picking a DIY (do-it-yourself) costume can also be super fun.
3. Couple costumes are really awesome, but it’s important not to get too bogged down with this idea. If you and your partner have different tastes or costume ideas, feel free to branch out and not match this year 🙂
4. Avoid costumes that may be considered offensive. In other words: I was going to be a clown this year, but with what’s been happening lately, I changed that plan.
5. Group-themed costumes are a blast! One year, I dressed up as a prisoner and three of my friends all dressed up as the cops who were arresting me.
6. SUPER IMPORTANT: pick a costume that you love and feel comfortable in! Only fit certain sizes or have certain style preferences? Go with that! Who cares what others could think?!
How do you pick a Halloween costume?